Remedies for Headaches

February 7, 2023 12:41 pm

Categorised in:

Headaches are a pain in your head or face that feels like a throbbing, sharp, or dull pressure. There are a few different types of headaches; the most common ones are Migraines, Tension, Cluster, and Sinus headaches.

Many things can cause headaches. Lack of sleep, low water intake, high-stress levels, and even too much screen time are the most common causes of headaches. Of course, we’re all familiar with over-the-counter pain relief medicines, but there are some natural routes you can also take to alleviate headaches.

Traditional natural remedies include;

  • Peppermint oil contains menthol, which helps relax muscles and ease the pain.
  • Hot compress applied to the forehead increases blood flow to the head, moving stagnant energy along
  • Cold compress applied to the back of the neck decreases blood flow to the heat, alleviating swelling and pressure.
  • Hydration; Even the mildest of hydration can cause a headache. Drinking plenty of liquids keeps the organs working properly and the muscles and joints limber. While Coffee is a popular choice, the body has to work harder at processing it, and the caffeine dilates the cells asking the body for more water.
  • Improved Diet – 80% of your daily water intake usually comes from beverages, which means the other 20% needs to come from foods. Adding magnesium to your diet regularly blocks signals in your brain that lead to migraines. Other dietary changes include avoiding too much MSG, raw onions, aged cheese, citrusy foods/drinks, and foods with sulfite, nitrates, and nitrites.
  • Resting in a dark and quiet room may be all you need. A change in your sleep schedule may cause headaches. Most headaches are stress-induced, which may make you sensitive to light and sound, so resting allows you to relax your muscles and release tension.
  • Acupuncture is very effective in treating migraines. It stimulates nerves and pressure points in the body to relieve symptoms. An acupuncturist will insert thin, tiny needles along the pressure points. It allows a flow of energy through pathways that run through the body to bring the body back into balance.

If the headache is muscular, massages will alleviate the muscle tension and allow the body to rebalance and reduce the intensity of headaches. Although these things are supposed to help prevent/cure headaches, depending on your headache type, some of these remedies may work better than others, but it wouldn’t hurt to try them out.

Body & Soul Massage in Salem Ma offers Therapeutic Massage for Pain Relief. Visit our website to learn more and schedule an appointment or call 978-825-0040 today!