Massage may feel like a luxury, but it is actually a sound investment in your health. Too often we give to others and push aside the notion that we are worthy of care too. Here are 10 reasons why YOU need a massage:
1. It is not a Luxury. Massage has long been framed as a luxury, often an indulgence for the wealthier among us. Truth is, massage may feel like a luxury, but it is actually a sound investment in your health. In fact, hands-on therapies have an incredible return on investment. And while some people may seek out massage or bodywork to relieve pain, recover from an injury, or perform at peak athletic levels, making a massage appointment with a goal of nothing more than relaxation is just as valuable.
2. It is a Healthy way to Invest in Yourself. 2020 Challenged our sense of normal. Research shows touch is a necessity, a basic human need. Therapeutic touch, with all its intention, is even more powerful and is a loving gift you need to honor yourself with more frequently. Self-care needs to be a priority. Show yourself some love by investing in yourself.
3. Stress Reduction. Chronic stress leads to increased risk of hypertension, stroke, heart attack, diabetes, and more. Massage reduces stress-related hormones helping our body shift out of the fight-or-flight stress response. Massage activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which works to calm us and help us regain homeostasis—the natural state of equilibrium our bodies should be living in.
4. Pain Relief. Massage and bodywork can offer relief and improved quality of life for those suffering from a variety of issues from low-back pain to arthritis and other chronic conditions. It has been shown that massage is an effective pain-management strategy for those living with arthritis, that headache sufferers have decreased pain and frequency when they use massage, and that carpal tunnel patients have found massage decreases their symptom severity. There is a lot of opportunity for massage and bodywork to help those living with pain.
5. It is Restorative for the Mind. Massage and bodywork have specific restorative effects on the mind in addition to the peace and well-being from a cared-for body. While your body is getting therapeutic attention, your mind has a chance to go quiet, something that doesn’t come easily in today’s world. At a deeper level Massage has benefits for mental and emotional well-being including depression, anxiety, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
6. It is good for your Body! The physiological benefits you can reap from massage include: Improved immune system function; Improved muscle and tendon recovery; Improved sleep and reduced fatigue in cancer patients; Increased pain relief without the side effects of narcotics; And many preventive benefits.
7. It heals your Spirit. When you use your time on the table to truly let it all go and engage in the meditative space, healing happens and the spirit can be tended to. Being in this place can help people become more self-aware, more present, more forgiving of self and others, and more open to the possible.
8. It is Adaptable. Short on time? A chair massage will provide quick relief for a headache or shoulder pain. Recovering from Surgery? Site specific work can address edema and swelling or scar tissue. Pregnant? We have specially designed tables and pillows. Adaptable for just about everyone, massage and bodywork can be beneficial no matter your circumstance.
9. Massage Benefits increase with Frequency. People who get massage regularly demonstrate greater improvement and notice a reduction in pain and muscular tension, and an improvement in posture. The more massage you receive, the more benefits you reap. 1 or 2 times a year is not going to correct chronic pain. Start by receiving Massage monthly and notice the difference when you have a consistent schedule.
10. There is a modality for Everyone. There are more than 300 types of massage and bodywork modalities. While some of these techniques are ancient in their origins, others were born during the creative somatic renaissance 1970s. From structural integration to reflexology, or Reiki to Swedish massage, Massage continues to evolve to this day as science further unravels the mysteries of the human body.
Body & Soul Massage in Salem Ma offers the highest quality Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork by licensed professionals. For more information about us or our Monthly Membership programs call 978-825-0040 or visit www.bodysoulsalem.com