April is Stress Awareness Month. Here are 10 Tips to Reduce Stress:
1. Get some exercise. Exercise gets your circulation going and endorphins pumping through your veins. A brisk 30 minute walk each day in natural light will help you feel better and improve your mood
2. Get out in nature. Go outdoors and admire the color of your neighbor’s house, the leaves on the tree, the birds flying by. It distracts the mind and gives you a sense of wonder.
3. Practice mindfulness. Focus on the here and now. Don’t worry about what might happen in the future or what has already happened in the past. Taking in what is happening now and really paying attention helps you to slow down and relax.
4. Practice gratitude. Stress and gratitude don’t go hand-in-hand. At the end of the day, relax by writing down three things for which you’re grateful.
5. Simplify your life. Too much stuff causes stress. The simpler the better. Clear your schedule of things that do not give you joy. De-clutter and only fill your home with things that you truly love or truly use.
6. Eat well. A diet high in sugar or fat puts stress on your body while a fresh fruits and vegetables helps your body to repair itself.
7. Get enough sleep. Your body and mind both need sleep to renew.
8. Do things that make you smile. Don’t forget to relax and have fun. Healthy people are happy people.
9. Mind your spiritual health. Having compassion, the capacity for love and forgiveness, altruism, joy, and fulfillment help you have a sense of purpose in life.
10. Get support. Build your support system. It’s always helpful to have one or two people you can count on to lend a listening ear or a helpful hand.
Like many things, reducing stress requires commitment. Make yourself and your well-being a priority by being proactive about reducing your stress. Choose an activity to do and put it in your schedule and make time for it as part of your daily routine. Once you master one activity, add in another stress-reduction practice.
Interested in learning more about incorporating Healthy Habits into your life? Join our Healthy Habits lecture series. Meetings are the second and fourth Tuesday of the Month at 6pm. Attend one lecture or join the series.
Call 978-825-0040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information