According to the National Institute for Aging, exercise is good for people of any age and can have numerous positive effects for older people. Contrary to popular belief, weakness and poor balance are actually linked to inactivity, rather than age.
Some of the positive effects of regular exercise experienced by Body & Soul Massage clients who regularly participate in regular activity are increase balance, increase flexibility, increased strength, more confidence, better coordination and improved mood. It can also help maintain a healthy weight and reduce the chance of developing diseases and disabilities.
Benefits of Regular Exercise
1. Live longer According to the World Health Organization, leading a sedentary lifestyle is one of 10 leading causes of death and disability. Even gentle, regular exercise such as walking or swimming can increase lifespan by around three to five years.
2. Prevent falls Improving muscle strength and bone density can be helpful in reducing the risk of falls as it can also improve balance. The World Health Organization notes regular exercise can reduce the risk of having a hip fracture by 40%.
3. Reduced risk of stroke or heart attack Regular cardiovascular exercise, such as brisk walking, cycling or light housework – anything that raises the heart rate – will increase blood flow to the heart and boost your overall health.
4. Better bone density Weight-bearing exercise such as walking or jogging can help increase the strength of bones and reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis and fractures. According to The National Osteoporosis Society, one in two women and one in five men will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
5. Reduced risk of developing dementia Being sedentary in later years can increase the risk of developing dementia, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. The study, which analyzed more than 1,600 older adults over five years, found that those who did not exercise were more likely to develop dementia than those who did.
6. Prevent or delay disease Exercise is an effective remedy for many chronic conditions. Studies show that people with arthritis, heart disease, or diabetes benefit from regular activity. It can also help in management of high cholesterol; keeping cholesterol levels within a healthy range can help to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
7. More confidence and independence A study by the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society examined exercise in the elderly and found that training led to improvements in functional reach and balance and reduced participants’ fear of falling.
Benefits of Massage
Regularly receiving massage has been shown to promote relaxation and stability while helping temper the effects of dementia, high-blood pressure and osteoarthritis. By incorporating massage into a regular healthcare regimen, many older adults find a better quality of life and additional relief from a multitude of health issues.
Physical Level – skin, muscles, organs, systems
Relieves postural stress (especially from all the sitting we do)
Eases muscle pain
Boosts the immune system
Alleviates Sports injuries
Lowers blood pressure
Increases skin flexibility and oxygenation
Increases gastrointestinal movement
Stimulates the blood and lymphatic circulation
Increases joint mobility and strength
Mental level – mind and body; emotions, different states of consciousness
Has a relaxing effect
Sedates the central nervous system
Improves quality of sleep
Increases body awareness
Energy level – what makes you feel good or bad vibrations
Promotes the free flow of energy
Boosts a positive mindset
Releases energy blocks
Looking good and feeling good are some of the many benefits of a therapeutic body massage and exercise regime. Regular body services and exercise programs allow your vibrant health to shine from deep within.
Body & Soul Massage in Salem Ma offers a monthly Massage Membership program. When you sign up for the membership program you are making a commitment to yourself for one massage a month at a discounted rate. Call 978-825-0040 or email email@example.com for more information.